Friday, April 10, 2015

THE HUMILITY OF JESUS

"I am in the midst of you as he that serveth." —Luke 22:26, 27

In the Gospel of John we have the inner life of our Lord laid open to us. Jesus speaks frequently of His relation to the Father, of the motives by which He is guided, of His consciousness of the power and spirit in which He acts. Though the word humble does not occur, we shall nowhere in Scripture see so clearly wherein His humility consisted.  In Jesus we shall see how both as the Son of God in heaven, and as man upon earth, He took the place of entire subordination, and gave God the honor and the glory which is due to Him. And what He taught so often was made true to Himself: "He that humbleth himself shall be exalted." As it is written, " He humbled himself, therefore God highly exalted Him."
Listen to the words in which our Lord speaks of His relation to the Father, and see how unceasingly He uses the words not, and nothing, of Himself. The not /, in which Paul expresses his relation to Christ, is the very spirit of what Christ says of His relation to the Father.
"The Son can do nothing of Himself" (John 5:19)."I can of My own self do nothing; My judgment is just, because I seek not Mine own will" (John 5: 30)."1 receive not glory from men " (John 5: 41)."I am come not to do Mine own will" (John 6:38)."My teaching is not Mine" (John 7:16)."I am not come of Myself" (John 7:28)."I do nothingof Myself" (John 8:28)."I have not come of Myself, but He sent Me " (John 8:42)."I seek not Mine own glory " (John 8:50)"The words that I say, I speak not from Myself" (John 14:10)."The word which ye hear is not Mine" (John 14:24).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment